BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Gayhurst Update

Gayhurst Quarry has been quite disappointing just recently. This winter the birds just haven't really been around in the numbers and variety of previous years.
 The thing is you've got to keep checking though, just in case.
This afternoon I took one of my regular walks around.
The track up to the lakes produced all the usual stuff, Chaffinches,Greenfinches,Great and Blue Tits, Redwings and Fieldfares.
 Looking over the Fishing Pit I spied Mute Swans, Mallards, Tufted Ducks, a large flock of Wigeon and 20 or so Teal. A Buzzard kept vigil over the proceedings.
 Motorway Pit held the usual Mallards, with smaller numbers of Wigeon, 90 odd Mute Swans, a few Lapwings and a lone Little Egret, while a couple of drake Goosanders flew over.
 The river was quiet but did produce a Kingfisher that sped off downstream and a Marsh Tit in an Ivy covered tree.

 I still haven't managed to see the Great White Egret that remains in the area, yet this year, so I decided to head up to the Linford Reserve once more.
 Again there was no sign, but I found compensation in the form of another Heron, - a Bittern that was roosting high up in the reeds on the north side. I managed to get a few other people onto this bird before the mist rolled in and spoiled it for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment