BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Friday 6 January 2012

Briefly at Broughton and a while at Willen

I decided to explore the weedy wastelands of Broughton Grounds this morning.
The Linnet flock was still around although it had shrunk to around a hundred birds. Skylarks were still plentiful, getting up in 4 s and 5 s all over the place. Goldfinches galore and smaller numbers of Reed Bunting, Meadow Pipit and Pied wagtails.
 Glad to see a good number of Grey Partridge around, coveys of 17 and 6, along with 8 of their Red-legged cousins.
 Also a dozen or so Stock Doves and singles of Buzzard and Kestrel kept their eye on proceedings.

 Later on I paid my third visit of the week to Willen Lakes.
The water was covered in wildfowl, but mostly the same stuff I had seen on my previous visits.
On North Lake a Cettis Warbler was in good voice, but try as I might I couldn't get sight of him.
From the Hide a single Little Egret was in the company of a group of Grey Herons, a good few of whom were attending the nests on the island. The 3-400 strong Lapwing flock still contained the lone Redshank, a Water Rail screamed as it ran across the scrape and 6 Snipe tried to hide in the reeds.

 Onto the South Lake where again many water birds were present, including the drake Goosander still and now 5 Goldeneye including a couple of smart drakes.


Shoveler


Cormorant


female Mallard

 While wandering through the Geese, I suddenly realised that' Pinkie' the Pinkfoot was standing right in front of me - I hadn't seen him for ages.
 On around past the Bandstand and near to the duck feeding station, some people were feeding some bread to the hordes. I noticed a large Gull that obviously couldn't fly properly. It was too dark for a Herring and too light for a Lesser-black back, it's legs were yellowish-white. My guess is a near adult Yellow-legged Gull, though I'm not 100% on that.


Yellow-legged Gull ?

3 comments:

  1. Rob, Nice colours on the Shoveler. All the best, Graeme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob - bit late, but your gull looks like a graellsii LBB to me - they have a lighter mantle approaching YLG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adam. Thank Goodness there are people out there who understand Gulls.

    ReplyDelete