BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Monday 28 November 2011

Hoping for Snow

Well no not really. Not the cold stuff anyway !
With news coming in of another Snow Bunting in the county today, this time at Broughton near M.K. centre, I felt it warranted a bit of my time.
 The bird was seen flying around with a flock of Linnets on the site of a forthcoming housing development. That should be easy enough I thought, find the Linnets and you'll find the Snow Bunting.
 As my luck is going lately that was never going to happen. The site was huge - a wasteland of fairly long weedy plants that were covered in seed heads -perfect for small finches.
 Well I found a Linnet flock of about a hundred birds flying around - nothing white stood out amongst them, - but then looking around there was another flock and then another, they were everywhere ! I'm guessing at 300 but there were probably more. There was also a group of around 60 Goldfinches, several Reed Buntings, Meadow Pipits and Pied Wagtails were mixed in but no sign of the little white waif.
 Wandering around the site I managed to flush a total of 35 Grey Partridge in coveys of 17, 11 and 7, by far the most I've seen in the county in many years, also a couple of Snipe and numerous Pheasants. Raptors included a couple of Buzzards, a Kestrel and a Sparrowhawk 

No comments:

Post a Comment