BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Friday 7 January 2011

Thrilled to be Trilled

Despite having seen lots of Waxwings at the back end of last year, I was starting to think that they had all moved on, as so far this year I always seemed to be one step behind and had missed out several times.
 When I got a message about there being some at B and Q Bletchley for the second day, I thought 'You Can Do It', ( I know that's Terrible) so I headed over.
 Right outside the store entrance was the only Rowan Tree in the car park with any berries on, so I guessed this was where they should be. Unfortunately there was no sign, but two stonking great Mistle Thrushes were sat right in the middle, obviously on guard, ready to see of any Scandinavian invaders.
 I hung around for quite a while hoping that the Waxers would fly in. After about 20 minutes a superb trilling sound filled the air and a group of 21 circled the car park. They circled three times but never landed but gave some fairly decent views before flying off towards Asda. Three more birds flew around, but again didn't land.
 I found out later that if I had just moved a hundred yards down the road there were over 150 birds feeding in Tescos car park.

 I then decided to visit Caldecotte North Lake as I was close by.
Lots of birds on the now mainly thawed out water. Mallard, Wigeon, Gadwall, Tufteds, Pochard, Mute Swans Canada Geese, Cormorants, Coots, Moorhens, Great and Little Grebes and a Grey Wagtail on the dam.
 Probably the outstanding sighting of the day though was Keith of the 'Holding Moments' website. This is his 'Patch' after all, and we had a good old chat about all the 'stuff' he'd seen lately including a Black-tailed Godwit the previous day

1 comment: