BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Sunday 16 January 2011

Dreary Sunday

The weather dictated my birding this morning. The wind was strong and gusting and the light rain meant it didn't really get light. With this in mind I decided a trip to Willen Lake was probably the best option.
Both lakes were  completely packed with birds, most numerous being Coot, Tufted Ducks, Pochard, Gadwall, Mallard, Wigeon and Teal. There were smaller numbers of Shoveler, Great-crested and Little Grebe.
From the hide a Buzzard could be seen on the island, about 120 Lapwings stood on the spit and amongst these a lone Redshank.
On South Lake, a gathering of about a hundred Mute Swans, 23 Goosanders, a pair of Goosanders and a few Great black-backed and Herring Gulls were additional to the North Lake tally. 
Rather sadly near the bridge between the two lakes a young Great black-backed Gull didn't look as though it was long for this world and a smart male Goldeneye had already passed on. 

I then nipped up to Central Milton Keynes to look for the large flock of Waxwings that had been present for the last few days. 
I couldn't see any sign as I drove up, but the minute I lowered the window, an incredible sound filled the air - Waxwings and lots of them ! 
A huge flock was easily located in a tree over the road. This shot shows the majority of the flock. I have counted 223, and there was probably 20 to 30 more.                                                                                                                                                
As you can see it was a really dark horrible wet morning so I didn't bother taking any more photos.

1 comment:

  1. I seem to be seeing more and more dead birds just recently Rob.
    That's quite a flock of Waxwing there.

    ReplyDelete