BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Wednesday 22 December 2010

Whoop, Whoop.

With lots of reports of wild geese being seen across the country, I thought it was time I checked out my local Greylag flock at Gayhurst Quarry.
 The walk down produced the usual variety of common birds, with a pair of Bullfinches looking very smart in the snowy conditions.
Fishing Pit, Spinney and Reedy Pits were all totally frozen over and totally birdless.
 The Goose flock was easily found though, feeding on the potatoes that had been scattered on the field between the rivers. And what a flock it was; around 350 Greylags, 150 Canadas and about 60 Swans.
I did my usual scan through, not finding any Whitefronts, Bean or Pinkfooted Geese, but a look through the Swans did produce one with a yellow beak - Result ! an adult Whooper.
This was my 4th type of Swan on 'the patch' this year, following Mute, Bewicks and Black ( 5th if I include Polish)
 Motorway Pit was partly unfrozen and absolutely packed with ducks. It wouldn't be an overestimate to say there were a thousand Wigeon, 500 Mallard, 100 Pochard, 20 Tufted Ducks and a few Teal. The drake Goldeneye was still present and 2 drakes and a female Goosander dropped in.

No comments:

Post a Comment