BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Monday 20 December 2010

More Waxers

I wasn't expecting to do any birding today as we took a trip to Nottingham to fetch the Mother-in-Law down to ours for Christmas.
 The bad road conditions meant I had to concentrate more than usual, but 3 Buzzards and a Kestrel were noted on the way up.
 On arrival in Notts we decided to stop at a retail park in Chilwell, conveniently a place where there had been some sizeable flocks of Waxwings reported in recent days.
 While Angela was in the shops I decided to take a walk around. However, while I located several likely looking Rowan trees, no Waxwings were found.
 So it was back in the car and on our way.
We had only travelled a couple of hundred yards down the road when I could see quite a large group of birds sitting in a roadside tree. As we neared , all of them - I estimated about 60 - flew across the road right in front of us. Yes they were Waxwings !

No comments:

Post a Comment