BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Friday 8 October 2010

Furzton and Emberton

As I was working nearby I decided I would take at look at Furzton Lake this lunchtime as last years Yellow-legged Gull had returned. I even took some slices of bread with me to try and entice it near enough for a photo.
 Well he was there alright but it seems he was the only bird on the lake not interested in a chunk of Hovis Thick White. He stayed firmly in the centre of the lake while numerous Mallard, Canada Geese, Moorhen, Coot and Black-headed Gulls squabbled over the crumbs.


This Coot looks as though he has put the wrong shoes on.




 Juvenile Black-headed Gull.
I got a call later in the day from Simon saying that was a report of a Red-breasted Merganser at Emberton Country Park, so I thought I had better check it out. So after work I headed off down there.
No sign of any RBM but two juvenile Goosanders were present on the sailing lake, almost certainly 2 of the three that were raised on the nearby River Ouse.It was good to see them again and to know they were still O.K.                                                                                                                                                        
 Also seen was a pre-roost gathering of Pied Wagtails on the roof of the sailing club hut.I would estimate maybe 30 birds.                                                                                                                                         
 A bizarre moment occurred when one of th Pied Wags flew out towards the Goosanders and for one brief mille-second it actually landed on the back of one of thems head before realising it's mistake.                                                                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment